Tuesday, December 12, 2006

House Fire
You'll never believe what happened at my house last night (or should I say early morning) at 2:00 a.m. I was awake until 1:00 a.m. working on my Scrap Outside the Box admin stuff and went to bed. About an hour early, I heard a strange noise. I thought it was the tv, which I fell asleep to. Boy, was I wrong. It was the smoke detector going off and for a very good reason, I had a fire in my basement where my 19 year son lives. I got up and saw my entire house full of smoke and ran frantically downstairs looking for Dave. We have a kerosene heater down there for him because the heat doesn't run in the basement. The entire top of the heater was flaming which we were fortunate enough to put out with not too much effort, but we had to open all the windows and doors to get the smoke out of the house and believe me you could see it pouring out the doors. It was so cold having to do that and my house stinks like crazy right now. All I can say is how fortunate we are that we were able to put the fire out and we didn't need to call the fire department and everyone is safe and sound. We definitely inhaled the fumes because their was black soot all over my hands (I'm not even sure why) and it was in my and my son's nose (it was and is extremely gross). So my purpose of this post is to say that I just received the best possible Christmas present I could ever ask for - A Safe Family all thanks to our smoke detector.
If anyone has any ideas on how I'm going to clean my house and remove the odor and soot, please feel free to leave me a comment or two.

No comments: